INSTALLATION METHOD FOR MAIN STUD KITS
Part Number: 202-5402 Application: Nissan 2.0L (SR20) DOHC 4-cyl
Note: This kit has been revised from its original version due to insufficient clearance between the upper oil pan
and the main studs on RWD vehicles. Please read and note the following changes before installation.
Caution: Always check the clearance between main studs and the upper oil pan before installing the oil pan and
modify the oil pan if necessary. The upper oil pan must sit flush with the oil pan rail on the engine block.
1. To ensure proper thread engagement and accurate torque readings, clean ALL threads in the block. Chase the
threads if necessary with an ARP thread chaser, part number 912-0005 (M11 x 1.5).
2. Clean and inspect all hardware prior to installation. Look for obvious defects or shipping damages, plus proper fit,
length and dimension.
3. Screw the studs into the block “HAND TIGHT ONLY”. Please refer to the main stud and washer mounting location
chart and the bolt torque sequence diagram listed below.
NOTE: LOCTITE MAY BE USED IF A PERMANENT MOUNTING OF THE STUDS IS PREFERRED.
THE FASTENERS, HOWEVER, MUST BE TORQUED PRIOR TO THE LOCTITE SETTING UP.
4. Install the main caps and check for binding or misalignment.
5. Lubricate the stud threads, nuts and washers with ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT.
Then install the washers and the nuts onto the studs and tighten them hand tight. ARP recommends using the
ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT that is provided with each kit as opposed to
motor oil. This is due to higher friction on the studs as well as inconsistencies in the clamping force of
the fasteners when motor oil or other low quality lubricants are used.
PRELOAD (TORQUE) RECOMMENDATIONS
6. Following the manufacturers recommended torque sequence tighten the nuts in three equal steps to 80 ft lbs
with ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT.
FOOTNOTE: When changing from factory fasteners to high strength fasteners, clamping force and tolerances will
change, therefore it will be necessary to check the main bearing bores for proper size and out of round condition after
installation of the studs and align hone the cylinder block if necessary. The main bores should always be align honed
using the same fasteners and lubricant which will be installed during final engine assembly at the recommended preload.
Main stud and washer mounting locations
#1, 5 & 9 in torque sequence – M11 x 4.910 in. long with.812 O.D. washer
#2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 & 10 in torque sequence – M11 x 5.060 in. long with .812 O.D. washer
700hp rated / 8740 chromoly strength